In celebration of this event (hyperbolic, sun-grazer) which occurs only once or twice a century, I have put together a FREE eBook called “COMET ISON”. It presents some unique perspectives which should give students a broader understanding of COMETS and especially these rarer HYPERBOLIC sun-grazing comets like ISON.
In Summary, the material is freely offered for students to use in any papers they are writing.
The FREE eBook asks 9 basic questions :
- Is ISON a long period comet on a hyperbolic orbit?
- Is ISON from the Milky Way Galaxy whereas typical short period comets like Halley, are from the Sagittarius Galaxy like our sun (+ its planets, comets and asteroids)?
- Will ISON explode and generate the most amazing tail visible to the naked eye in December and January? (28 Nov 2013 – looks like it has disintegrated). No sign yet of material coming round the Sun.
- Will particles be blown on the solar wind to Earth and affect satellite communications or the Northern Lights?
- Will ISON deliver to Earth’s atmosphere a set of new viruses and bacteria as predicted by the Panspermia Hypothesis?
- Are massive hyperbolic exocomets like ISON the source of the earth’s water?
- How lucky are we that earth was not on the trajectory of ISON?
- Will we ever be able to detect, track and divert such hyperbolic comets?
- What experiments are planned over the next 2-12 months? Detection of complex molecules (even life itself?)?
William E. Smith November 2013
It is made available under the “Creative Commons” philosophy.